Long Beach CA Tips for Visitors
If you are planning a trip to California, make sure to include the city of Long Beach in your itinerary. This coastal jewel has a lot to offer to its visitors. Enjoy the great atmosphere of the city at any time of the year and participate in different sports or cultural events held regularly at Long Beach CA.
1. When to visit Long Beach CA
The best times to visit Long Beach CA are in spring and fall when the city offers its best weather and a lot of attractions. In summer, the onshore marine layer can make the days gray and misty and that’s why the locals named the period “June Gloom”. Be aware that Long Beach is overcrowded in April during the annual Toyota Grand Prix. If you plan to visit the event, book your stay well in advance. If you want to avoid the crowd, plan your trip before or after the event.
2. What to see in Long Beach CA
Long Beach CA offers many attractions to please visitors with different tastes.
- No doubt, first on your list should be the Aquarium of the Pacific, which is the largest aquarium in southern California, and the ocean liner Queen Mary, docked in Long Beach since 1967 when it stopped cruising the seas. Now it offers a great view and one of the most romantic restaurants in the USA – Sir Winston. As an added bonus, you can also sleep aboard.
- You can also enjoy several walking tours downtown Long Beach. One great option is the Art Tour, which also features the Museum of Latin American Art. There is also a Food Walking Tour, which allows you try several restaurants and cafés or you can simply go shopping.
- Don’t miss the Naples Gondola Ride – a cruise that is offered from mid-day to midnight and you can even request a gondolier who can sing to make the journey even more romantic.
3. Best Long Beach CA events
- The annual Toyota Grand Prix held in April. Make sure to book your stay and event tickets well in advance, as this is the most visited event.
- The Belmont Shore Christmas Parade is held during the first weekend at December. It is quite old-fashioned and much loved by both locals and visitors. The Naples Boat Parade is held a week later.
- During the summertime, there are numerous festivals that celebrate local art and culture. Visitors can enjoy performances by local artists and taste local food. An example is the First Fridays Street Fair.
4. How to travel to and around Long Beach CA
- The Long Beach Airport (LGB) is the closest airport to the city. You can also drive to Long Beach. If you want to visit the city from Los Angeles, though, it is better to take the metro, since getting around Long Beach is pretty easy without a car.
- The Passport buses offer free rides in Long Beach downtown to most of the attractions located there and can take you to other parts of the city at a very affordable price.
- There are also two options to travel by water – the Aquabus and the Aqualink, which are also price-worthy.
- There are Uber services and taxis in Long Beach CA that are easy and convenient to use and won’t cost you much.
5. Where to stay in Long Beach CA
There are plenty of places in Long Beach CA, where you can stay. The city offers different types of accommodations – from small boutique hotels to large international hotel chains, renowned for their services. The city is known as pet-friendly, so many places allow pets – just check in advance. If you want a romantic weekend getaway, then it is better to book a hotel near the shore or why not in the Queen Mary itself?