California is the third largest and the most populous state in the USA. It is the beautiful scenery which makes driving through it a pleasure.
If you are moving or recently moved to California, you’ll want to make sure you find a vehicle that fits the local climate and follows local fashion trends, especially in Long Beach area where the image is of great importance. Here are 8 great cars for California that are not only convenient but will also help you to fit right in.
The most popular brands in California
Californians do have a good taste for cars, which may differ slightly from the rest of the Americans. The evidence from different surveys such as preferred car brand in California or the top best-selling cars reveals that they are five makes that dominate the market in this state: Honda, Toyota, Ford, Nissan and Chevrolet.
- Chevrolet Silverado – this is the preferred pickup truck for Californians. It is imperative for those who take care of big houses and yards and those who live in the suburbs and drive a lot. In a nutshell, this is a full-sized V8-powered pickup that is light on the wallet at the pump. It is a do-it-all vehicle that has been part of top 10 best-sellers for California for quite a while.
- Honda Accord – this vehicle comes packed with lots of extras at a very reasonable price to make driving round Long Beach, LA and other busy areas a pleasure. It is perfect for the tech savvy who has to spend a lot of time in the car, and comes equipped with Bluetooth audio streaming, hands-free calling and other features at a lower cost than expected. No wonder Honda Accord was the best selling vehicle for California just three years ago.
- Chevrolet Corvette – an iconic car that combines image with power and brilliant handling. If you are an experienced driver, you surely deserve to drive around Long Beach in this vehicle.
- Toyota Camry – the vehicle is perfect for those who need to use it just to get from point A to point B. It can be used both by young singles and families and you can trust that it will behave well on the roads of California, especially in areas with high traffic.
- Ford F-150 – yet another bestselling truck for the entire USA and one of the top 10 vehicles for California. It is a great choice for commuters who take care of houses with yards in the suburbs. It is the best when it comes to heavy-duty work.
- Fiat 500 Cabriolet – the best small car for Long Beach area with an old-school roll-back top that opens up almost the entire roof. You can enjoy a scenic ride and the fair weather, without worrying about the cost, since the car is fuel-efficient. It also comes at quite affordable price – just over $20K, which makes this compact quite attractive.
- Mazda MX-5 Miata – this is another small car that is easy on the eyes and easy to park. It is relatively inexpensive and fuel efficient and is fun to drive. It can be compared to the Fiat 500 but it has a less retro-look and moves faster (even its roof opens quicker). If you love spending time driving on scenic roads around California, then this is the car you need to own.
What to look for this year when driving in California
Taking into account the heavy traffic in Long Beach area and in other parts of California, we recommend two types of cars that you should be looking for in general:
- Any hybrid – if you want to save gas (and money) the hybrid is the perfect car for you. Despite the initially higher investment, this type of vehicle is truly the answer for anyone who drives a lot around California. The battery comes with a ten-year warranty, so you can even save money by buying a used hybrid. You will enjoy a comfortable ride and take pride in protecting the environment at the same time.
- Anything with start/stop button – in a densely populated state as California traffic jams are quite common especially in large metropolitan areas such as Long Beach. When you are stuck and moving just a few inches per hour, you are wasting gas and playing bad on your engine. A start/stop system, however, can solve this problem for you. It has been introduced in the United States fairly recently, so you need to consider cars manufactured after 2010.
The ultimate car to drive in California
Whether you live in Long Beach area or elsewhere in California, there is this one car that you simply need to drive – the Tesla Model S. This is the ultimate car for the Golden State as it has it all – from the ultimate in gas savings to the perfection in both image and comfort. It is true that Tesla launched newer and more expensive models recently, but the Model S is still the one you want to own if you want to make a statement. The ultimate sports car, loved by all Americans, the Tesla Model S deserves to top the list of the cars you should drive in California.
We know that choosing a car can be overwhelming. Hopefully, our list of the best 8 cars to drive in California has given you some useful insights. Already drive one of the cars we recommended? Let us know in the comments!